Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

19 days and counting...

I can't believe how the time has flown. It seems like just yesterday I made the somewhat frantic decision to travel the world, even if I had to do it alone.

Quoting an email I sent to my mom on July 7, 2010:

"You know how I get… I get restless. [...] I just want to see the world while I can, while I’m still young. I know I’ll regret it if I don’t. This life is so short. This is becoming more and more apparent each year. I’m getting older and so is everyone around me. I feel like I can practically hear the clock of my life—of my YOUTH—ticking and to be honest it breaks my heart a little. It makes me feel sad and that I need to live my LIFE and not be sitting in a stupid little cubicle day after day after day after day in this man-eat-man, corporate America. [...] If I want to travel, I need to MAKE it happen or it never will. It’ll take so much preparation and thought. There seem to be so many obstacles. The amount of issues makes my head spin. I don’t know where to start. But I know that as I get older, obstacles will only increase." 

I knew if I was going to fulfill my dream of world travel (namely through Central / South America, where my heart undoubtedly lies), I have to do it now. Time waits for no one. Although I had been fantasizing about my travels, my decision to make it happen was somewhat impulsive. I immediately began my preparations.

Just a little background for you folks-- this will be my third time living abroad. First time was in Valencia, Spain (2001, 16 years old), and then in Monterrey, Mexico (2006, 21 years old). On both occasions it was for a student exchange. Unfortunately I only have hard copies of the pictures I took in Spain, but here are some from Mexico:






'Why not Europe?' everyone seems to ask me. Well, first and foremost, Europe would drain my funds much more quickly than Latin America. However, more importantly (as mentioned above), my heart lies down South. The Hispanic culture is exceedingly warm and welcoming. Not to mention the warm weather and crystal clear ocean. Oh, and I can't leave out one of the most important factors of all-- the Spanish language has always intrigued me.

Even before I began studying the language at 12 years old, I nagged my mom about having her Peruvian friend teach me Spanish. Once, at the McDonald's play place (I must have been only 7 years old!), I struggled to communicate with a small Hispanic girl. I remember quite clearly descending from the play place to ask my uncle how to say 'what's your name?', after which point I repeated it over and over in my mind as I ascended back into the play place to continue our "conversation." Needless to say, I continued my studies in Spanish and even majored in a mixture of Spanish / business. 

I like how Spanish flows...the alternation between vowel - consonant - vowel, rather than consonants with consonants, as heard commonly in English. More so, Spanish has a way of communicating things that would otherwise sound strange in English. Take this song, for example. It's beautiful. Not only does the language flow nicely, but the lyrics are touching. If translated into English, however, the lyrics would be nothing extraordinary.

Anyways, back to the subject. I'm leaving bitter cold Colorado in less than a month. In a sense, I'm excited. In another sense, I'm nervous. Not only because I'm not sure what exactly to expect, but also because I'll be leaving my lover back in Colorado. Fortunately he'll be meeting up with me out there in just a few short months. But while we're apart... I'm going to miss him so much :(




Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Hey there Niece, just found this thru Mark's FB post....first of all I wish you a safe journey, second, it will be one of the best experiences of your lifetime and produce enough memories to last a lifetime. I look forward to reading your posts and seeing photos. Love from NY...Aunt Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie! I am so happy for you! It's Important to live out your dreams while you are still young! Your blog is very inspiring... Wish I can join you! I'm glad you've set this up so all of us can enjoy your ventures vicariously through you :). Have Fun and post a lot of pictures! And pleaseeee be careful! Take care my luv!

    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your thoughts! Aunt Lynder - send me your email address so I can include you on the list (I thought I had). And Farah - I most definitely will be careful! I'll remember our spring break down there, for sure :) Hasta pronto!
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's lyndaferrara@aol.com. I can get text too @ 516-528-7678. Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all's well and you're having a great time. Touch base when you can. Love from NY!

    ReplyDelete